Need a lift?
If you ever want to convince someone that flying is magical, just remind them that scientists still can’t explain exactly how a wing produces lift.
Theories abound. For a long time it was all thanks to Daniel Bernoulli and the idea that an airfoil accelerates the airflow, which means it must lose pressure perpendicular to the wings, thereby sucking you, your airplane and your credit cards into the sky.
But the idea of operating some kind of half-open venturi is simply nonsensical. It takes more than one sucker for that explanation to work.
The force of logic
Enter Newton’s Third Law – that is, ‘for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction’. Or to bring it into context, as hard as your wing shoves the air downwards, the air will respond by shoving your wing back up. Perfect.
View original post 811 more words
- Book Review: Burritos and Gasoline
- THE LOST LAWS OF ROBOTIC DEVICES
- Clear and Present Dangers……G. Gordon Liddy
- U.S. Army Flag
- Book Review: Pistol Poets
- Chuck Berry RIP : Hail, Hail, Rock ‘n’ Roll!
- Clear and Present Dangers……Chuck Berry
- Pirate Flag
- Walking on Frozen Baikal, The Deepest and Oldest Lake on Earth
- Book Reviews: A Wright Brothers Twofer
- Clear and Present Dangers……Raylan Givens
- U.S. Navy Flag
- Supermarine Spitfire Mk.III
- Book Review: The Airplane, How Ideas Gave Us Wings
- On Writing: Pete Wentz
- State of Ohio Flag
- Lucifer’s Lexicon — Mainstream Media
- Ever wonder what constitutes Light? Infographic…
- Book Review: The Gift of Fear
- The Analects of Mudcat: Dreams
What I’m Reading
Owl Works Blog Categories
- Verse & Lyrics